Pensionable excess service

If you've excess service, it will have been automatically rolled back to the Local Government Pension Scheme if you'd have been eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (i.e. your employer was a Local Government Pension Scheme employer for the relevant period of employment). The excess service will then be subject to Local Government Pension Scheme rules for the remedy period.


If your excess service is moved to the Local Government Pension Scheme, as an active member you’ll have the option to transfer all of your Local Government Pension Scheme service into the Teachers’ Pension Scheme, in accordance with the transfer rules. The transfer window will be one year from you receiving your options as part of your Remedial Service Statement (RSS). Transfers aren’t available to those of you who’ve taken your retirement benefits from the Teachers’ Pension Scheme before a transfer is complete.

Last Updated: 26/01/2024 09:56


Ready to apply? Our forms page has everything you'll need to get started.



Get an insight into how your pension is built and explore your options.



Find the answers with our range of Frequently Asked Questions.