Divorce or dissolution

If you and your spouse or civil partner decide to legally end your relationship, you may need to request information on the value of your pension. This is to allow the courts to consider whether or not your pension should be shared with your partner, and by how much.

you can ask us to calculate a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) representing the cash value of the benefits you’ve accrued in the scheme, including your pension, lump sum and dependant’s pension. The court may award a percentage of this CETV to your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner, giving them pension benefits based upon the amount awarded by the court.

If you receive a pension sharing order, your pension benefits will be reduced to take this into account. They become a credit member of the pension scheme.

Here are some other things you should know:

  • Provided you have not already taken benefits, a lump sum may be payable to the credit member.
  • If your pension credit rights included any service on or after 1 January 2007, the credit member may opt to take a higher lump sum and lower pension.
  • If you have service on or after 30 March 2000, the credit member may also apply from age 55, for Actuarially Adjusted Benefits.

Last Updated: 21/12/2012 15:43

What's Next?

Register for My Pension Online

Check out our calculators and forms