Employment during a break

When you return to pensionable service you may be able to transfer any benefits you accrued in another scheme into the Teachers’ Pension Scheme. You must apply to do this within 12 months of re-joining the Scheme. You can complete an application online.

If during a break in service you’re a member of another public service pension scheme, (such as the Local Government Pension Scheme or the NHS pension scheme), that period of pensionable employment does not count towards a disqualifying break. That means if you’re out of service for more than five years, for example seven years, but during that time are working in the Civil Service in a pensionable role for four years, when you return to pensionable teaching the break in service will only be considered to be three years.

You should contact us on your return but you’ll be required to provide evidence from your other scheme about that employment.

Last Updated: 08/12/2021 16:21


Do you have questions about Scheme membership?

Read our FAQs


Have you had a break in service? Our factsheet can help.

Download PDF


Looking to transfer into the Scheme?

Download form