Employer leaving the scheme

If you’re employed by an independent school, it’s worth noting that after a consultation exercise, they can choose to leave the Teachers’ Pension Scheme.

There are two ways in which they can choose to do this:

  1. Phased withdrawal – Your employer will in effect freeze the membership to the Scheme at a chosen point in time and no new entrants will be allowed to join the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (except for a bulk TUPE transfer from another participating school).
  2. Scheme withdrawal – you employer will completely leave the Scheme and offer you an alternative pension scheme.

To help you understand what you employer should do to involve you in this process and how it may impact you, we recommend you use our website and resources to help you understand more.

Last Updated: 15/10/2021 08:45


Ready to apply? Our forms page has everything you'll need to get started.



Get an insight into how your pension is built and explore your options.



Find the answers with our range of Frequently Asked Questions.