What if I worked outside of teaching during my break?

Transferring in

You have the option of transferring in another pension (public or private) when you return to the Scheme. Please note that any transfer into the Teachers’ Pension Scheme would need to be completed within 12 months of re-joining. However, Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVC’s) can’t be transferred in.

Work in other public sector schemes

If during a break in service you’re a member of another public service pension scheme, (such as the Local Government Pension Scheme or the NHS pension scheme), that period of pensionable employment doesn’t count towards a disqualifying break. That means if you’re out of service for more than five years, for example seven years, but during that time are working in the Civil Service in a pensionable role for four years, when you return to pensionable teaching the break in service will only be considered to be three years. Please complete the Joiner Questionnaire as this will help us establish if you retain any scheme links, from your previous time in the Scheme.

Last Updated: 23/02/2022 14:46


Do you have questions about Scheme membership?

Read our FAQs


Have you had a break in service? Our factsheet can help.

Download PDF (PDF, 76 KB) (This link opens in a new window)