Your Scheme

Our Frequently Asked Questions below will help you answer many of your common questions about Scheme Membership.

  • Answer:

    You can quickly and easily change all of your contact details via your MPO account. First of all you’ll need to login. You’ll be taken to your Member Dashboard where you’ll see your Task List which contains the options to change your personal details, contact details and your address.

    It’s important that you always keep all of your personal and contact details up to date.

  • Answer:

    The easiest way to contact us is to login to your MPO account and send a secure message using the Contact Us facility, found on your Task List. Alternatively, you can call our contact centre on 0345 606 6166 (8:30am – 6:00pm, Monday to Friday).

    For more contact options, see our Member enquiries page.

  • Answer:

    Your Teachers’ Pensions Reference number (also known as your DfE number) is the number given to you when you qualify as a teacher in the UK. It’s important that you keep a note of it, but if you’ve misplaced it you can confirm your number in one of three ways;

    Work in England

    1. Ask your employer – they’ll hold a record of your individual DfE number
    2. Check any correspondence – we’ll have used this number in any previous communications
    3. Call us on 0345 606 6166 and verify your identity.

    Work in Wales

    1. Call the Education Workforce Council on 0292 046 0099
    2. Check any correspondence – we’ll have used this number in any previous communications
    3. Call us on 0345 606 6166 and verify your identity.

  • Answer:

    If you’re employed in a teaching capacity aged between 16 and under 75 then you’re automatically a member of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme. As long as you’re employed in one of the following types of establishments:

    • a school maintained by a Local Authority;
    • an Academy;
    • a Further or Higher Education establishment;
    •  an Independent School that has been accepted into the Scheme
    • by a Function Provider (a company awarded a contract to perform functions on behalf of a local authority).

    It doesn’t matter if you work full or part-time you’ll still be a member unless you were working part-time before 1 January 2007 and haven’t had a change to your contract since then. If that’s the case you’ll only be a member if you have made or make an election to join the Teachers’ Pension Scheme.

    If you retire and take your benefits but start work again you’ll become an active member again and start to build up further benefits.

  • Answer:

    That depends on which pension arrangement or arrangements you’re in.

    The NPA for members in the Final Salary arrangement is 60 or 65 depending on when you entered pensionable service.

    If you were in service before 1 January 2007 your Final Salary NPA is 60 provided you have not:

    • transferred the service out of the Scheme; or
    • had a break where you were out of service for more than five years ending after 31st December 2007.

    If you entered pensionable service on or after 1 January 2007 or after a break, your Final Salary NPA will be 65.

    The NPA of members in the Career Average arrangements is either their state pension age or age 65 whichever is the later date.

    If you have benefits in more than one arrangement you’ll have more than one NPA.

    If you have benefits in both the Final Salary and Career Average arrangements your Final Salary benefits are protected and will remain in Final Salary. When you retire we’ll use your salaries earned in Career Average to calculate your Final Salary benefits. This is called the Final Salary link. If you have a break in pensionable service of more than five years ending after 1 April 2015 then the salary link is broken and we’ll use the salaries notified to us at the time of the break to calculate your Final Salary benefits.

  • Answer:

    The minimum qualifying period for benefits from the Teachers’ Pension Scheme is 2 years service if you were in pensionable employment on or after 6 April 1988. That service does not have to be consecutive. If you left service before 6 April 1988 then you need to have completed 5 years service.

    If you worked part-time, the whole period counts towards your qualifying service including the days you don’t work. However, your benefits are based on the pensionable earnings you received.

  • Answer:

    If you became a member of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme after 1 January 2007 you’ll have a Normal Pension Age (NPA) of 65 for your final salary benefits.

    If you became a member before 1 January 2007 your Normal Pension Age for any final salary benefits will be 60, provided you haven’t had a break in service of more than five years.

    If you had a break of more than five years, before 1 April 2015 your NPA remains at 60 for service up to the end of the break in service. But it will be 65 for future service. In pension terms you’ll be classed as a ‘member with mixed service’.

  • Answer:

    Yes, you can continue to work past your Normal Pension Age and accrue benefits up to age 75.


Ready to apply? Our forms page has everything you'll need to get started.



Get an insight into how your pension is built and explore your options.



Find the answers with our range of Frequently Asked Questions.