Teachers' Pensions


Got a question about Repayments? You've come to the right place.

  • What’s a repayment of contributions?

    If you have less than two years qualifying service (or less than 5 years before 5 April 1988), you can claim a repayment of your contributions. You won’t receive the same amount of the contributions as a repayment, as deductions for tax and National Insurance will be made.

    Repayments can only be made if you’re a deferred member or if you’ve opted out of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme.

  • How do I apply for a repayment?

    To apply for a repayment you’ll need to complete an application form. Once we have received all of the relevant information, we’ll then confirm the value and make the payment into your bank account.

  • If I apply for a repayment will I get all of my contributions back?

    The amount you will be repaid will be the contributions you’ve paid into the Teachers' Pension Scheme together with compound interest added at 3% per annum. Two sets of deductions will be made: one to secure your benefits in the State Pension Scheme and the other for tax. This is depending on whether you were a member prior to 6 April 2016, as membership was contracted in thereafter.


Ready to apply? Our forms page has everything you'll need to get started.



Get an insight into how your pension is built and explore your options.



Find the answers with our range of Frequently Asked Questions.


Related Information

My Pension Online


Are you retirement ready?