Teachers' Pensions
Joining or leaving the Scheme

Joining or leaving the Scheme

The forms, guides and leaflets below are provided in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view PDF files, you need Adobe Reader. The program is available for free if you don't already have it.


Form Description
Election to join the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (Opting in)

If you opted out of the Scheme and now wish to rejoin, you need to complete this form and return it to us.

Joiner Questionnaire

If you’ve previously been a member of a public service pension scheme you may qualify for protections in the Teachers’ Pension Scheme. Please complete this form so we can check. 


If you want to leave the Teachers' Pension Scheme, you'll need to let us know by completing this online form. This form must only be completed after your employment start date.

Repayment of pension contributions

If you have less than 2 years total pensionable teaching employment after 6 April 1988, or less than 5 years total pensionable employment if all service in the Scheme was before 6 April 1988 and decide to leave the Scheme, you can reclaim you contributions by sending this completed form to us. This form is also available online.

Transfer in

If you wish to transfer benefits from another scheme into your Teachers' Pension, please complete this form. This is an online application form.

Transfer out

Please note: Companies are singling out savers and claiming that they can help members cash in their pension early. Please avoid these companies. To find out more view the pensions advisory website here.

To find out more about transferring out of the Teachers' Pension Scheme please visit our 'Leaving Pensionable Employment' factsheet. If you still wish to transfer your Teachers' Pensions benefits to another Scheme, please complete this form.

Last Updated: 11/06/2019 14:29


Do you have questions about Scheme membership?

Read our FAQs


Learn more about Career Average.

Download PDF


Estimate your final pension.