Teachers' Pensions
Moving abroad

Moving abroad

reading a book

Moving Abroad

If you decide to move abroad you’ll no longer be able to be an active member in the Scheme unless the school you’re going to work at has been accepted in the Scheme. Currently schools that are members of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS) and are located in a member State other than the United Kingdom are eligible to apply to be a participating employer in the Scheme. “European Schools”, i.e. an establishment satisfying article 2 of the European Communities (European Schools) Order 1972) can also apply to be a participating employer. If you’re going to work at a COBIS or “European School” it may be worth checking if they participate in the Scheme, although only a handful actually do.

You can leave your benefits in the Scheme. It will not affect the sterling amount of your pension. However, once you claim your benefits, the amount you receive in the local currency may change based on currency rates.

It’s important that you keep your contact details up to date so that we can let you know about any changes to the Scheme. The easiest way to do this is via My Pension Online.

Applying for retirement

If you’re living abroad and wish to apply for your pension from the Teachers’ Pension Scheme the process will be no different to if you were applying from within the UK. The online application simply requires the name of country you live in and your bank details (be they British or International).

Death Benefits

Your death benefits are still payable if something happens to you whilst you’re working overseas.  If you’re no longer an active member you’ll receive deferred member death benefits. If you’re an active member of the Scheme then you’ll be entitled to active member death benefits.

Returning to teaching in England or Wales

If you’ve built up an overseas pension with a non-pensionable employer abroad and return to teaching in England or Wales, you can transfer this in to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme as long as it’s a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme for the purposes of Part 4 of the Finance Act 2004. HMRC provide a list of Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes.

Last Updated: 11/09/2018 14:03


Ready to apply? Our forms page has everything you'll need to get started.



Get an insight into how your pension is built and explore your options.



Find the answers with our range of Frequently Asked Questions.


Related Information

My Pension Online


You're benefit statement is ready.