Divorce - Pension Credit Member

If you and your spouse or civil partner have legally ended your relationship, the court will consider any relevant pension credit you should be awarded. There are two main provisions which allow you to receive pension credits following dissolution of your marriage or civil partnership: these are ‘Earmarking’ and ‘Pension Sharing’ Orders.

Where an Earmarking Order is made, the agreed share of your former spouse or civil partner’s benefits is redirected to you. If a Pension Sharing Order is made, you’ll be awarded a credit in the Scheme and become a Pension Credit Member (PCM). You’ll receive a credit based on the highest value available.

Once the credit has been awarded, any action your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner takes regarding making a choice about their retirement benefits, due to being affected by the Transitional Protection changes, will not affect you or your own pension.

Last Updated: 02/10/2023 11:32


Ready to apply? Our forms page has everything you'll need to get started.



Get an insight into how your pension is built and explore your options.



Find the answers with our range of Frequently Asked Questions.